Corsewall, formerly a dower estate of the Earls of Galloway, was bought by Robert Carrick in c. 1815. His fortune was amassed as chairman of the first merchant bank in Glasgow, The Ship Bank. Co-founded by the Buchanans of Drumpellier, it was established in 1749 and financed, amongst other things, the lucrative tobacco trade between Glasgow and the American colonies.
Corsewall was inherited by his cousin James Carrick-Moore in 1821 and at that time consisted of over 6,000 acres across Galloway and Ayrshire. James was responsibe for the designed landscape surrounding Corsewall House. He laid it out in the formation of the British Army at the Battle of Corunna in memory of his illustrious brother, Lt. General Sir John Moore KB. Sir John was killed in action on 16th January 1809 at Corunna commanding the British Army in the Iberian Peninsula War against Napoleon.
He was succeeded by his son, John Graham Carrick-Moore, late Royal Horse Guards. He died without issue and Corsewall was inherited by Colonel Sir David C.R.Carrick-Buchanan of Drumpellier. Seven generations later we are still here.
It remains predominantly an agricultural estate, albeit somewhat reduced – now numbering some seven farms – but merged into two farming businesses focusing on cattle, sheep and arable production.
However, the estate is evolving. The commercial assets on the remaining parts of the Drumpellier Estate in Lanarkshire are being developed and on Corsewall Estate considerable investment has been made in renewable energy and high quality holiday accommodation.